Jefferson County Appointment

To apply for assistance in Jefferson County, click here!

Beginning December January 24, 2022, the Community Action Agency of Northeast Alabama (CAANEAL) will resume administering the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) for Jefferson County, Alabama on a temporary basis. All eligible applicants should schedule an appointment for in-person assistance OR submit an application via our Mobile App, LITT LITE. Walk-in, crisis applications will be accepted as time allows throughout the day, but we encourage all applicants to schedule an appointment to ensure a Case Manager will be available to assist you. Applications can also be downloaded from the agency’s website. Application packets completed on paper must be dropped off at the Birmingham office location or emailed to Please email any questions to, message us on Facebook @caaneal, or call 256-899-8760.  

Please note that applicants should only submit one application on behalf of their household. Applicants are only eligible for one award for this period. Submitting multiple applications will delay your application and award.  

Contact Information and Location:  

Facebook: @caaneal 


Phone Number: 256-899-8760 

Phone Number for Scheduler: 205-778-2474 


Birmingham Location: Serving You Ministries – 6523 1st Avenue N, Birmingham, AL 35206 

For media inquiries, please contact 

Application Requirements: 
All households must fall at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.  

Required Documentation:  

  • Social Security cards for all household members 
  • Current photo ID for applicant 
  • Proof of income for previous month for all household members over 18  
  • We use pay date from check stubs. Be sure to bring all stubs from the calendar month. For example, if you are filling out an application in February, income should be from January. Note: if any household member is over 18 and had NO income the previous month a Declaration of Household income form (included in the application packet) must be completed.  
  • Household members who receive any type of monthly Social Security payment may present 2022 Social Security letter as proof of income.  
  • Current utility bill  
  • For Section 8/HUD or income-based housing, a current copy of the utility allowance.  
  • Utility allowances may be obtained from the Housing Authority or listed on your current lease.  
  • Medical documentation for all claimed illnesses or conditions that are weather-related, only if requested.  

The agency is excited for the opportunity to continue providing services in the Jefferson County area and looks forward to meeting new families!